Sunday, November 25, 2012

Safety Personal Protective Equipment

There was some stories before my month long trip begins.

I requested a new pair of boots since over two months ago, and Ms. Azreal mentioned to Ms England that Decamouth did not approve it as he thinks we are spending too much on safety boots, when we could just purchase some other brands off the local hardware shops like what he does, in order to save money for the company.

England and myself were pretty mad at this, but MD seemed to agree with Decamouth, so we kept quiet.

When Decamouth wanted me to come to Philippines to commission the products, and I told him my safety boots are worn out, and need a new pair. He asked me to buy it from local hardware shop, I told him I couldn't find my size. I also asked him for the budget, he said there is none, just buy whichever that suits me. I then challenged him why not then let me buy the one that I requested two months ago, since I know for sure that model suits my feet?

He said he didn't know about the request. I was really pissed by his lies, I referred Azreal's words on the request was not approved by management, so if he doesn't know about it, could it mean that he is not a member of the management? I enjoyed seeing his face turning black. He pushed it back to Azreal, since she hasn't been back from maternity leave, and said it would be done when Azreal is back. I just enjoyed the moment and told him it would be too late, as I would be walking around in the China factories and Philippines construction sites risking my safety, would the company take responsibilities if anything occurred? I also told him a couple of near miss incidents I encountered due to the disintegrating boots and other safety equipments.

He asked me to log these incidents so that the company knows it. But our office doesn't have any safety policies or channels for us to log our incidents all these years, we have always been solving things on our own. But I think it is a good start, so when he raised it to the HR, I wrote a detail report. With that, he managed to get himself a pair of new boots, by saying that his technical department members must all obtained updated personal protective equipments (PPE).

Eventually, he got Azreal to arrange for the PPE supplier bringing some shoe samples to the office and purchased them. But I still visited China and Philippines with that disintegrating boots and risking my safety as the PPE supplier couldn't give us the products in short period of time. Especially the female boots sizes are pretty rare and they don't keep the stock.

No comments: