Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Male Chauvinism and Gender Discrimination

I have recently been appointed as the acting head of Project S. Being the only female in the team, and the acting head, no only I have to deal with Ir. Decamouth, but also Mr. Pig.

Mr. Pig is my sub-ordinate in this project, and he has trouble accepting instructions from a female. Despite constantly making a lot of mistakes, refuse taking in suggestions, he still tries to show some vain authorities.

Mr. Pig was drafting for Project C, and wouldn't finish the drawing until next week, in order to start Project S. But when the structural engineer in the team gave him the details for Project S, he took it as an instruction to start Project S, and questioned me why haven't I given him the work order. I told him the administrative work hasn't been finalised, however if he thinks he can start Project S now, I can give him the neccessary technical details to go ahead. He then said that my boss will not be happy if he starts drawing without a proper work order.

Well, my boss has been fully awared of this all the while, and has given me the permission to start the technical design and drawing while the sales manager is trying to get the administrative stuffs finalised with the customer. Mr. Pig did not like it when I explained that to him, and turned his back to me while I was giving him the unfinalised work order.

I am very upset by the fact that female have to work harder to gain recognition, just because of these MCPs (google this abbreviation, I can't be bothered to explain it). It is as if it is my fault to be a female, something that I have totally no control over -- my gender.

Though working in a male dominated environment, I am bounded by various pigs, but to me, this is a form of gender discrimination.

One obvious example is during a meeting, (this has nothing to do with Mr. Pig), I gave a valid suggestion, but no one supported it, they sometimes even ignore it, until my boss picks it up, and bring it up again... then suddenly everyone cheer over it and said it is a good suggestion that should be put into action as soon as possible. The same word coming from a guy's mouth carries different weight when it comes from mine.

I agree that guys have their own challenges that gals can't understand. But given the fact that I am being unfairly treated, I don't think this is something to argue about who is getting a tougher life, as gals have our own challenges that guys can't understand either.

I do not expect people to treat me like a princess nor a lady, but I deserve a respect. I will not bend over these MCP attitude, which often disguise as "oh, female are so sensitive, don't be so sensitive if you want to work in this field."

I am starting to understand why people often regard female leaders as strict people -- While female sub-ordinates generally have no problem taking orders from bosses from both genders; male tend to have issue when the instructions are coming from a female superior. We just have to be a lot more assertive in order to get guys working, which is often being mistaken as strict.

Nonetheless, this is the first time my department has a project acting head, and a female one. I shall solve these resistance with grace. And since I love pork, I shall make these MCPs into some gourmet pork recipes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

One day your "office world" entries will be make for comic books/web. Whenever I read, I imagine the scene like some anime ... funny and cute. Inspired by your character naming. :P

Vinegar said...

Thank you Jaime. ^_^

kevin said...

HI Vinegar, being from this field, I can understand ur frustrations. However, all u need is to show ur capabilities one time and they will definitely follow ur instructions the next round. Anyway, well done and congrats on being appointed in a leading role!! All the very best to you!!