Sunday, November 20, 2011

Eventful week

Friday 18th Nov. was supposed to be my last day of work. But things happened on the Tuesday, when the HR Director from China called and had a long chat with me.

She said changes are on the way for this office, and she asked me to give it 6 months. Though doubtful of what could be done, I guess I should give her words a fair chance, so I agreed to stay for another 6 months, i.e. work until the end of May 2012.

After agreeing to that, I felt like an idiot, because I have conducted a hand-over session with Decamouth, said good-bye to many colleagues across the global offices, etc.Some reps. actually heard my departure news from the MD, and verified it with me. I was so looking forward to be released, but I guess I got to retract all my good-bye's with everyone now.

On Wednesday, I received a crystal article from a Taiwan rep. for my wedding. It was sent under his personal name, but it was sent to our office. So it stirred up a bit of discussion on whether or not I should accept this gift, given that he is our rep. and I am supporting him technically.

The China HR director said I shouldn't keep it, our MD said we should. Eventually I kept it, and called the rep. to explain the situation has changed, that I will now stay with the company.


Meanwhile, as I already submitted my resignation for more than a month, I have made plans for the rest of the year. Having the HR spoken to me this late, somehow shows me the efficiency of this company. Anyway, some of my plans can be re-scheduled, some can't.

Going for Alan Tam's concert was one of the fixed arrangements, it was on 19 Nov. 2011. I planned to take it as a celebration for leaving the company. And since this is the first time I attended a concert, I also treated it as a farewell to my young days, because after the marriage ceremony in December, I am no longer a free person.


Alan Tam wasn't one of my favourite singer during my teenage days, in fact, I don't really have an idol. But his songs are so darn popular, you can't avoid them at all.

I still remember those days when I used to squat next to the huge radio, pay a lot of attention to the weekly chart title, wait patiently for the song I like... when it come out, I would press the record button and stay very still until the end of the song, so that I won't record some other noise. I would curse the person who continued to speak when the song had already started. I listened to radio on the bus, while studying late etc.

Alan's songs last night brought back a lot of memories, I thought I wouldn't have much emotions attached to a singer that I didn't pay too much attention, but I was wrong. It was the memories that attached to those songs, significant or not, it brought tears when I heard it again last night.

Most of the audiences in the concert last night are about my age, Alan's songs are collective memories for all of us around this age. I may be a little old for screaming and waving the neon light bar, singing along all night long, but heck, I paid RM300 for event like this, shouldn't I be relaxing myself and enjoying the atmosphere?

Despite the traffic and the rain, I enjoyed the concert well. Brought back the neon bar, I like its simplistic design,will put it in the car, it would be useful when having some issue with the car at night at the highway.

No comments: