Monday, January 23, 2012

1st Chinese New Year as a wife of someone

As we all know, Chinese have a lot of traditions to follow, and depending on the clan, there are different ways of doing things.

This is the first time I celebrated Chinese New Year with my husband's family. It is a totally different culture to mine. Although I am not particularly in agreement with some of the things they do, but in the name of respect, I kept my mouth shut. Nonetheless, I played along and entertained tonnes of stranger relatives and their intimate questions. I hope when it comes to my husband's turn to visit my family, he will at least stay for a longer time, without playing with his phone or flipping the TV channels.

I feel that women after married lost their identity. They become someone's something. Wife is just one of the checkboxes in men's life. Chinese stress on caring the elderly, ironically I always felt that the maternal family and relatives are conviniently forgotten, or put at a lower priority.

I guess gender equality can only be achieved without getting married. Once married, you are done.

Anyway, men and women must not argue on such things, there is no right or wrong. We can only agree to disagree.

No comments: