Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Lousy day

While I am totally swamped with work today, which mostly has nothing to do with me, I also met a few nonsense people, and had a few nonsensical conversations:

Scenario 1
Twoheadsnake is having his honeymoon in Hong Kong Disneyland, and he forwarded me an quotation request from the rep., asking me to help him prepare the price and send it to the Singapore rep.

I called the rep, but his office phone was having some problem -- he couldn't hear the receiving end. So I called his other office phone, the rep's father picked up the phone. I introduced myself, told him why I looked for his son, and asked if there were any other ways I could get to his son.

He refused to give me the phone, so I asked him to pass my message to his son. I left him with my name and number. He hesitated when he found out that I was calling from Malaysia, he gave me his son's mobile number, and asked me not to talk too long with his son on that number.

I knew what he had in mind -- asking his son to call overseas = too expensive. But in Singapore, receiving call on mobile phone also incurred charges to the receiving end. Nonetheless, the cost for receiving the phone is less than calling overseas.

I was like, WTF?!?!?!?!! We are all out in the society to do business, and you are reluctant to communicate?! Go back to become a caveman, don't come out and bother us.

Scenario 2
As I do not know the procedures to prepare the quotation on the above mentioned project, I asked for help. The MD walked by, and pulled Decamouth into the conversation.

Decamouth started to talk cock, by saying that the system and software is very complicated, every quotation takes about 20 mins of work. All his time were wasted on working on these quotations.

He then said to me, in Mandarin "It would be good if you can learn how to do the quotation, then it would be a big help to me."

I was bothered by 4-5 other technical requests at that moment, and didn't find a way to counter him, so I said, "Attending to the sales requests inbox is already taking me a lot of time."

I regret that I have missed a huge chance to shoot him with "Give me your commission, and I will work the quotations for you."

Man, if a sales manager do not spend his time working on quotations, what else can he do? They don't even go out of the office to grab sales, they all rely on the rep! Such a bastard.

Scenario 3
While trying to communicate with the Singapore rep, he rejected my call, by saying that he didn't know anything about the project.

I was furious with all the work load that dumped onto me, which has nothing to do with me. So I forwarded the email by Twoheadsnake to the rep and asked him to return my call when he read that email.

Unfortunately, I made a huge mistake. Twoheadsnake mentioned a certain margin that I have to follow while preparing the proposal. But I didn't delete that information when forwarding that email.

So the rep now knows our margin. This is what pushed my furious to the climax. Because I can't believe myself making such a stupid mistake. I hate it when I am making a mistake that shouldn't be made.

I learned that when things have nothing to do with me, I just need to let it sit. Work on my priority first, and let others wait.

I also learned that sales always wants things yesterday, as a technical personnel, I have to ask them to go fuck themselves, so that I could work on their other more "worthy" requests. Because when the sales person is as fucked up as Decamouth and Twoheadsnake, they will never have the initiative to learn, but to rely on me. I can afford to do that.

Next time... I just hope I could learn my short fall fast enough to punch them right at their face.

No comments: