Friday, March 4, 2011

Trip to China

Went to Jiangsu on Sunday, came back home last night. It was my first trip to China.
Went there for product inspection, and also to get to know the team there, as there would be more chance for us to work together from now on.

It was very cold. Living close to the factory means that there isn't anything else to do after work. Stayed mostly in the hotel and factory. There are some small shops near the hotel for one to get some basic necessities, not much of food to choose.

I went to Shanghai the day before flying out, because the trip from the factory to Shanghai PuDong airport is rather far. Spent some time in Shanghai that afternoon, went to Yuyuan Garden. I was walking alone, allowing myself to lost in the narrow and crooked streets in Shanghai. I love walking around and blend into the crowd to feel the heart beat of the city.

The views in those narrow streets were very different from those huge and majestic building you see around Yuyuan tourist area, or those corporate areas. I saw houses entrance that was right against the street, no curb. It was like a corridor filled with doors, except this corridor is also shared by motorcycles, pedestrians, small cars etc. I saw people hanging clothes onto the overhead electrical wire etc., pupils running outside the street after school, surrounding the mobile food stalls to get some fish balls etc.

The food outside Yuyuan is also much cheaper than those in the tourist area. One meat bao in Yuyuan was sold around 10 RMB; few streets behind Yuyuan, it was 1 RMB. I didn't buy them to check on the content though, but I don't think one would pack with a whole pig.

I didn't get to see the inside of Yuyuan, nor the temple there due to the timing -- it was about the closing time.

Shanghai reminded me of the lady's old Cheongsam, the dusty aged silk, with laborious embroidery. Shanghai is packed, the narrow streets and the distances between the buildings reminded me of the tight-fitting, figure-showing Cheongsam. Shanghai is no doubt a very charming city, the architectures left over by the Westerners gave the city some "depth", much like the embroidery on the Cheongsam. The new high rise buildings were like the jewels stitched on the embroidery.

Like the jewels on the Cheongsam, I think it should never outshine the beauty of the embroidery. Otherwise, it would only make the dress looks trashy, despite covered with jewels.

One day, I guess Shanghai would turn into a working lady suit, and I hope those old buildings would remain as the highlights, just like the brooch you see on the lady suit.

No comments: