Monday, September 12, 2011

My experience with slimming center

I have been feeling bad about my lower part of the body since young, and since I am getting married end of this year, I thought I should put in some effort to make myself look a little better. Since I have never been able to wear pretty dresses because of my body size.

So, I walked into one of the famous slimming center in town, which have been endorsed by various Hong Kong actresses.

Upon walking in, the lady was desperate in making the sale, she brought me into this consultation room, and asked me to strip off my clothes. I dislike the way I was asked, as she was sitting down, crossing her legs, and her tone was like giving commands. No one feels natural stripping in front of a stranger, though I still keep my undergarments, I felt uneasy.

She took my measurements after that, and I realised she made up my measurements when she filled in the cards. My waist and hip measurements were added two extra inches between the measurement belt reading and the consultation card. My weight was added a few more pounds too. She thought I wasn't aware of it, and thought not many people would be sensitive to pounds and ounces in this SI unit country. She was messing with the wrong people here.

After taking the measurements, she started introducing the slimming treatments that are "suitable for me". She tried explaning how the slimming treatment works scientifically, but again, she was messing with the wrong person here. She clearly didn't do her homework, when she is selling their hottest product -- radio frequency and infra-red treatments. She can't even tell the frequency that the waves could penetrate the skin, and at what level the reaction would take place -- these things are all over Google. But given that she is not a technical person, I didn't want to catch her.

Total up all the treatments, I was quoted RM 66,000! She quickly said it was a list price and she could give me a discount by phoning her manager (so much like those car sales men I met in Kansas!). She came back and gave me a discount, the discounted price was RM 23,000.

She then pushed me to make decision on the spot, and when I explained that I didn't know I have to make payment or decision on the first consultation, she threatened me that the price will not be the same when I visit next time etc. (It stated clearly in their website, that the clients are given the freedom to make their decision after the first free consultation)

She even asked me to use my ATM card to go to the banks outside the shop to take money for down payment. I refused, but she didn't allow me to leave the consultation room and kept offering other products that are not relevant to me, but lower price, so that I could swipe my credit card.

She also tried to attack my self-esteem by critising how bad my body looks, and how badly I need those treatments. I felt rather hurt there.

I eventually said I wanted to call my husband for opinion cause it involved a lot of money, and I increased the phone volume (so that she could hear what he said), and purposely asked him some bimbo questions to make him angry. Of course the plot works, and I managed to get out of the consultation room by saying that my husband is against the slimming package.

I guess the 23k quotation gave me a good slap on the face, and that I am wide awake now, knowing that I have to learn to accept my body. I exercise regularly and have healthy meals, I took good care of myself, so I just have to accept whatever that was inherited to me. Sad but there is really no shortcuts in life.

If I were to have that amount of cash to be given out at one go like that, I would prefer to use them at places that are more worth it.

No comments: