Monday, September 13, 2010

Egyptian

Disclaimer: I am not trying to provoke a hatred message here, ok. Just want to share some stupid moments due to the ignorance of Americans, during a casual conversation with some midwesterners. So don't take it to heart.

Stories goes like this... Mr. Techno's new gf is an American, but grew up in Egypt. And she doesn't have the "white" features, she looks more like Spanish.

... and I said, "She is very differnt, unlike any Americans I known so far..." Because she sounded like someone who can embrace differences among cultures.

Mr. Curlhair interupted, "Yeeaapp... I know, we are indifferent and ignorant."

Mr. Cheerful then said, "I thought she was an Egyptian."
Mr. Curlhair was shocked, "What? Egyptian? I thought they extinct? Like the Babylonians."
We were like... huh?
Mr. Cheerful said "What, then how would you call Egypt people?"
Mr. Curlhair, "It just sounded very ancient, they should call themselves with more modern names... like..."
Mr. Cheerful continued, "Egyptians!"
Mr. Techno, "What, you think she is Cleopatra is it? Or you think she doesn't exist, and I am having an imaginary gf?"
Mr. Curlhair, "Cleopatra is Egyptian? I thought she is just a story figure."
I just can't control myself laughing from the moment Mr. Curlhair said "extinct."

It is odd when these Americans are so open minded in many things, yet so close minded at times.

No comments: