Monday, August 2, 2010

Mature Society

This topic was inspired by CX, my friend who has just started working in the company I always wanted to join.

As a newbie, he experienced something all of us would have been through, in fact, I myself is facing similar issues here. We generally don't understand what are these seniors talking about.

"What about the GHI? Do you think it is affected by it?"
"The EDP is planning to speak to ABC about the RTUs this Wednesday."
"The two twenty fice shaft has a lip seal, oh no, it has the labyrinth."
"Vibration issue at XYZ, ten mils at three times fan speed. Three sixty six, HP seven, ten. Twelve fifty eight, four thousand box, one eight hundred rpm, one fifty horse, four hundred shaft, VFD."

Tell me as a reader, what do you understand from these sentences above? By the way, these sentences are not connected, in case you wonder if it is a conversation.

Sounds like a Morse code isn't it? That's the kind of frustration we all faced when starting to work. We understood partially what they were talking about, but not quite enough for us to ask a question, because we don't even know where and how to start asking a question.

Few months ago, I would have just sit through the whole discussion without asking a single thing, and left the table with my head grown twice as big as it was before the discussion. Frustration started to build up, until one point, I just made a joke out of it.

"Listening to you guys talking, made me feel like watching ER. It is like a bunch of surgeons were behind the curtain dissecting the problem, and I am watching at the other side of the curtain. I see only the silhuoette of what is going on."

Though it is more efficient for the folks to talk in abbreviations and jargons, it is not efficient for newbies like us to learn. I understand that newbies have to try catching up with the speed, but the rate of the folks not slowing down a little, there is no way anyone would benefit from the scenario.

One thing I have witnessed in USA, is that people are generally willing to adapt when you raised an issue that could be solved. First, you must raised your concern, and be open and honest about it. If you don't fight for yourself, no one would. People don't have time to slow down and ask if you are following.

This is what I love about working here. Open, and willing to share.

Unlike working in Malaysia, when you raised a question, typical answer would be "You are not experienced enough, that's why you won't know." or, "It is faster for me to do it myself, than teaching you."

People are so afraid of losing their job in Malaysia, up to the point that they become protective over what they know, and reluctant to teach others.

That brought to my other concern.

I have committed a sin in July -- spending too much. I didn't bring enough clothes to begin with, so I went to purchase some. Also went for holiday with friends to Lake of Ozark, and two sports games. So basically, I spent money every weekend in July. Huge amount, at least to me.

But things I bought aren't lavish decoratives, those events I joinned aren't everyday occassions, it was for the sake of experience.

Take for example, a Docker's trouser, $35. I think it is worth it, because I couldn't even get such quality trouser back home, and this trouser is good for office wear, and for casual wear, for summer and winter.

A pair of Docker's in Malaysia, easily goes beyond RM150. The average earning power is not as high as USA. Let's say both earns 4000 a month. $35 is less than 1% of the USA earning, while 150 is close to 4% of the Malaysia earning. Not to mention Docker's in Malaysia has no female pants.

It sucked to be a female engineer in Malaysia, because all the trousers are so damn low cut, that once you bend down, you either show your underwear, or your buttock. The shirts there are short too, unlike those I found in USA, so damn long that it could cover your buttock.

I really haven't realised how small the money is until I come to USA. Even in UK, my spending power was strong, thanks to the GBP value. Then I wonder, how do those Malaysian spend those money on Coach handbags, Burberry, D&C, CK etc? Where do they get the money from?

I guess my point is, people has become the slaves of $, and securing a job means a lot to people in Malaysia. You just can't afford to lose your job, if you want to live decently. Let's forget about career, when one is trying hard just to survive.

Anyway, I guess I whined a lot... and the contents strayed too far from the title... let's just end this entry here.

No comments: