Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Feels like an idiot

I don't know why am I working so hard, when people don't even appreciate it.
I am working in an no-man-land, whereby I don't belong to any department now.
It is a dangerous situation, because the operation between departments are not transparent, hence no one knows what I am working on, and why am I so busy.

I am actually killing some of the potential issues way before any of them got it. I handled the sales and technical supports, which are where problems are first reported. I usually figured out by then, which department would be pulled into the picture, and if I am also involved in those departments, I would reply those requests before it reaches to those departments, based on my knowledge.

And today, I was blamed that I did not follow the procedure of the engineering department, just because our sales rep was too efficient, by sending her requests to various departments... and just because I identified the need for engineering work, while replying the requests from the technical support role, and take the initiative to pick up the engineering work at the same time.

Heck, this is the first time the HQ have someone coming in here for cross-functional training. Just because your old junky process doesn't accommodate this, doesn't mean that the person isn't doing the right thing. Process are man-made, though men should follow the process, but we also ought to realise that the process should be flexible to adapt through time.

I have to say, those engineers are too busy following their procedures, and logging down the work they have done, than putting their hands on the work itself. I am typically handling 3-5 different jobs, each with the complexity touches more than 3 departments, yet I still have time to attend all the meetings, and have time to stop by some colleagues' desks for short chats. While those engineers who handle 3-5 projects, all within their job scope, finding it hard to take on anything more...

May be I haven't dug deep enough...

Anyway, the engineering department already has their own issue to deal with. As a guest, I think what I can do now, is just to follow their process.

No comments: