Monday, November 8, 2010

Long Live the Smoke Alarm

After listening to my neighbour's dog barking at 4am on Friday morning, suffered migraine due to lack of sleep, which also affected my sleep on Friday night, had a very busy Saturday... When Saturday came to an end, the day light saving finally started!

Just when I thought I finally "earned" one extra hour of sleep, the dang smoke alarms woke me up at 4am with beeping sound every 20-30 seconds. I have two in my house! -___-!

I tried reset it, it won't help. I slept with ear plugs, the only thing that made me feel good was, I hope my neighbour's dog heard it. Because I really hated the Americans with dogs -- To me, if you don't know how to control the behaviour of your dog, then don't own one. That dang dog bark when sees car passing by, heard me playing violin, and most importantly, when the owner leaves the house, which is the worst offence, because it would bark for 2-3 hours non-stop.

I woke up first thing in the morning rushing out to get batteries. But the darn smoke alarm won't stop blinking, and still beeping away after replacing the new batteries.

Googled for the manual to reset it, but only good enough to get rid of the beep, the flashing red blink still going on until now.

I tried disconnect it from the mains, took away the battery, man, the darn smoke alarm was like having a life of its own, it continues to beep, as if taunting me for being so naive, thinking it would be quiet by unplugging it.

Anyway, I am going to let it blink, until the next beeping event occurs. For the time being, I am not keen to contact the management, as it takes them forever to solve problems. Especially the front desk lady, who spends long time chatting with young and handsome tenants, and ignoring others. She even told me -- I am busy with XXX, if you can wait, I will be with you in a minute. I waited for 15 mins, hearing her trying to ask that guy out, and how that guy just wanted to get things done and got out of there. I gave up eventually and left. This was not her first, but was the worst to me.

Also, I am not comfortable having people entering my house when I am not around -- I don't have any place to lock my important belongings. As safe as it seems in America, I don't come from a safe and trusting place, a place called "the rest of the world" -- Human being is as good as human being, you never know when or what would make the person decide to behave otherwise.

No comments: