Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Honesty and sincerity

I remembered someone asked me what do I look for in my partner, I replied honesty and sincerity.

In fact, these do not just apply to my partner, but apply for friendship and other people I met.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I went to see a supplier today, with my boss. This supplier, Mr. M, did not show any interest when I first called him last week to book an appointment to meet up for this week. I then found out later last week, that under the same address for this supplier, there is another company name. Out of curiosity, I called this other company, and his secretary Ms. J picked up the phone. She confirmed that the two company names are actually falling under the same owner, and that she can help me to arrange a meeting with Mr. M.

So, eventually we met Mr. M this morning. It turns out that he appeared alright in front of my ang moh boss. I found that he is obviously very proud of himself, and I have seen his "two-face" through this meeting, he showed his honesty when we talked about the specifications of our order, but he is really lack of sincerity.

Well, it takes a certain level of self confidence and guts to be honest. And it takes some level of respects and appreciation to be sincere. In my humble opinion, a person who is proud, must have known his field inside out, very confident of what he is doing and has obviously received a high recognition for his knowledge.

One thing for sure, for a person who is so proud, often finds it hard for others to agree with him from the bottom of the heart, or in other word, appreciate him. Reason being, this person often doesn't understand the limits of others, and seldom show appreciation for others' effort. In most of the cases, proud people who gainned high recognition are putting a lot more effort to reach to the summit. Therefore to them, the effort that done by others are merely a basic requirement.

A person is being so proud, because he thinks that's how he supposed to react to his recognitions, and he wants respects. Ironically, only when you can respect and appreciate others, you will get the sincere respect and acceptance from the bottom of the heart of others.

1 comment:

kevin said...

Honesty is the best policy. Sincerity is what makes the frienship last long...