Friday, August 14, 2009

Suddenly Friday

It is quite happening today.

I went to my client's site with our site supervisor, to inspect some work done by my contractor. It hasn't finished due to the infrastructure wasn't completed by my client. But this contractor insisted that he has completed the work, and tracked me and our site supervisor down on the highway to sign the Delivery Order (DO) for him. We had to take other routes to go back to office.

The war continues with emails when I arrived back to office... and I suspended the email shootings until Monday.

Another project which has been quiet for a very long time suddenly surfaced with some huge problems just before I left the office today... sigh... my heart sinks when I read the email, but wait till Monday.

The major thing that drained my energy today is the client that I visited today, tried to persuade me to join their company.

The client's technical manager has been acting strange since about a month ago, and he got his project engineer to do the speaking today. I rejected him. When we were just about to leave the site, the technical manager, whom was claimed to be overseas this afternoon, suddenly appeared in the carpark. Shaking hands with me, and asked if the contractor's work is ok. I assured him and went off with the site supervisor.

He sent an sms while we were being tracked by the contractor, requesting to speak when I am free. Anyway, I rejected him via sms just now.

This is not the first time someone approached me for the same reason. I was approached by one of my research collaborator last time, but that was only done by people with the same level as me, and it wasn't serious.

This is the first time I had someone higher level doing this and in a much more persistant manner. I do not want to offend them, as it might affect my work with them -- this client has not been pleased with us since the beginning of the project. Yet I have to be assertive to push the "reconsideration sms-es" away. May be I am just overacting, but I felt uncomfortable to deal with delicate professional relationship like this.

In a way, I should feel glad this technical manager has recognised my effort, though in a rather unconventional way.

What I am most happy is to have good support from my boyfriend over this matter; and my current engineering boss, who doesn't know what happened, and yet generous enough to let me sit in his room quietly to calm myself down when I was feeling agitated over today's events.

No comments: