Friday, January 15, 2010

Twoheadsnake vs Azreal

Twoheadsnake is taking care of Project S now, and it is close to completion. Like every universal law, there are hick ups when it comes to an end. So I am helping Twoheadsnake to sort out this hick up.

This hick up required me to have some steel fabricated, and send to the site to patch the problems. So I drew out some drawings, calculated out the quantity for nuts and bolts etc, sent out an email to Azreal on Tuesday morning, to ask for quotations from our suppliers. I mentioned in the email, that the quotations must be gathered by Friday.

One minute after the email was sent, Twoheadsnake talked to me, saying that 6mm thickness for the steel is too thick, he recommended 3mm. I said if he thinks 3mm is ok, I am fine with it, he can feel free to change the drawing. He then said, "Oh, nevermind, let's see how it goes." It seems like he is not willing to take the responsibility of making a decision.

So I waited for the quotation, but didn't notice anyone making calls to vendors. I walked over to Azreal and Twoheadsnake's desks Thursday afternoon, and casually asking Azreal if the quotation is ready.

She asked, "What quotation?"
Twoheadsnake tried to help her answering, "Oh, the Project S one isn't it?"
Azreal quickly point her finger to Twoheadsnake, "I thought you said you are sending the enquiry out!"

The conversation then become the two of them pushing the blame to each other, and tried to make up stories to me, saying that they wanted to change to another vendor. I said, "I don't mind which vendor, you (I looked at Azreal) know the procedure better than me, as long as I get the price..."

Then the two continued to blame each other, and I walked away. At the end of the day, I noticed that Twoheadsnake went home alone, unlike any usual days, where they will wait for each other for hours to leave office together.

On Friday, there was still no quotation sent to me, and I was curious who won the blame. So I sent out an email requesting for status of the enquiry, and gave more tasks -- request for quotation for freight. When I walked pass their seats later, it happened that Azreal wasn't around. It was a great time talking to Twoheadsnake alone. I asked if he, as a project engineer of this job, would prefer these items to be sent to site -- by sea or air?

This has brought the conversation to the status of the enquiry for the steel. Twoheadsnake said that he will send out the enquiries to the vendors after our conversation.

So it seems that Twoheadsnake lost to Azreal.

He mentioned again that 3mm thickness is enough, I trust his judgement, and told him to feel free to change the drawing. He hesitated again, and said "Well, since we have enough margins for this project, I think we could erode some for such thick steels." As if the scare factor will work on me.

To be frank, I pity Twoheadsnake, he doesn't need to take the heat from Azreal. Azreal is the procurement person, and Twoheadsnake is the project/structural engineer. It was clearly Azreal's fault for not reading the email, yet she blamed Twoheadsnake for not helping her.

No comments: