Sunday, May 9, 2010

Bought a car

Went car shopping with my colleague, and I bought a car today.
Will be sorting out the insurance business on Monday, and drive the car home.

We compared between two dealers, and two different cars make, under the same rank/power.
The 4 years old Corolla that I wanted to see in the second dealer's shop was already taken, and I really loved that Corolla -- It was parked in front of the entrance when we walked in. Too bad...

Eventually, I purchased the other Corolla, which is 2 years old. It costs more than the budget, but the car condition wasn't too bad.

It has been a rather nervous day for both of us. We kinda worked hand in hand a little, as he is not very comfortable with the bargaining, and I am not very good with the cars. We didn't manage to get the price down, but managed to get the cruise control installed for free.
Generally, with him being a local, and knowing the cars well, helped the situation a lot.

For all these to work out today, I am grateful for having a very considerate colleague. May be I need to re-calibrate my sense of judging things, but this colleague surprised me a few times.

My first impression of him, is a cool, macho guy who loves cars, machines and guns, speaks with low voice, short sentences, don't have much expressions. And I thought he would not like to talk much with me, because it takes me longer to form up a sentence, and it probably doesn't make much of sense, and filled with mistakes, which I thought it might wear his patience. (Vinegar's impression: Macho guys tend to have thin patience)

But turns out, he is the only person who noticed that I ordered salads almost everytime we have our weekly departmental lunches at the restaurants. (I did that because I know I couldn't finish the meal course, but I couldn't even finish the salad, and my appetite isn't small. You could imagine the serving size in USA*.) And when it was his turn to suggest a restaurant, he was actually picking a place which serves smaller salad portions, and get everyone to agree going there for the BBQ they served -- serving the carnivals males with good meats, and herbival Vinegar with greens.

He is also surprisingly good in listening / reading between the lines, when even myself is trying hard to telling/knowing what I want. And of course, he is considerate enough to think in my shoes when we went for car shopping today.

* I think the reason the serving size in USA is so huge, is because the kitchen staffs works in metric units. So they just got the measurements larger than what it supposed to be.

1 comment:

JW said...

Hmm...interesting theory on "serving size". Different metric system...

Oh, new car, would love to see a pix of it. :-)

You know, by chance I found this blog: http://taleoftwofish.blogspot.com and this kinda reminds me of your blog. :D