Friday, May 28, 2010

The Cave

In the US head office, we have a research centre, and a plant nearby. The office is the midpoint between the two. We called the research centre The Cave, because it is inside a huge limestone hole, hidden in the mountain.

The temperature inside is very consistent, it is perfect to conduct temperature sensitive testings all year round.

I have a chance to go there a few times this week, I am totally thrilled by the vast freedom and space it has to offer. If it weren't taken already, it would be my perfect hideaway place. It has the few things I loved in life -- a room with complete supply of hardware and tools, a huge library, and many workshops / labs. Most importantly, the serenity.

In fact, like my colleague said, I enjoyed working here, because I have a chance to visit the manufacturing plant, the reseach centre, and the office. It is a complete cycle from idea to manufacturing to installation.

The more I spent time here, the more I enjoyed the working environment, and the culture here. I think I have finally found my dream job. But this dream will come to an end when the one year training contract ends, and I will have to wake up to the cruel reality to go home.

Sometimes I really hope that I don't have to go back. I really hope I could settle here, and continue doing what I love. I wake up everyday eager to go to office, to find out what problems are there for me to solve. I get thrilled by claiming those complicated problems, and splitting my hairs trying to sort them out one by one. I don't get this rush of adneraline, race of heartbeats even when I was dating.

Sometimes when I enjoyed the teamwork here, I would feel sad deep inside, because this would only last for a year. When I leave in a year's time, I may never see these people again. Although we are working in the same company, and we already knew each other, but without these people, the working environment would never be the same again. This is a place where people constantly being reminded of the whole innovation process.

I am very grateful to have a chance to work and share a short period of my life with these amazing people here. I really hope that I don't need to leave.

1 comment:

JW said...

It is not easy to find that ideal moment when you feel good about where you are, and feel good about yourself in the end. Treasure it! :D