Monday, October 24, 2011

My Passion Fruits

There is this house at the end of the street, who has grown a very large crop of passion fruit. They built a frame so huge, it became their porch at the gate entrance.

Everyone was so amazed by those red and green fruits hanging down from the porch, and we took a branch from that house and started growing our own passion fruit. This happened about one and a half year ago.

My mom got it, but didn't pay attention to the plant, it took forever to grow. Until recently we found out that passion fruit plant is actually "hungry" at all times. We need to feed it with lots of nutrients.

So instead of using chemical fertilisers, I pour the "enzyme" I made ages ago, and saw instant transformation to that skinny cripplish plant. It grew real fast, in a few months time it already spread all over the place and started giving flowers.



I really like the flowers, they have this real meaty pedals, with long and purple-ish tentacles. It looks so strangely beautiful, it looks like some alien flower.



See the green passion fruit at the back?

We thought when the flower dies, it would turn into fruit by itself. The first 3 passion fruits appeared by chance in July, which was 4 months after we started pouring the ever organic "enzyme". It takes 3 months from flower to ripe fruit.

Unfortunately we didn't know we need to exchange the pollens among different flowers, so it kinda wasted a few weeks having all the pretty flowers blooming and dying for no reasons. At peak time, we had like 10-12 flowers in a day!

Upon finding out the secret of turning the flower into fruit, I had a part time job as a "bee", busy "breeding" the passion fruit everyday. While "breeding" the plant, I found that the passion fruit actually has some tiny hair grown on the skin, it felt so smooth and tense like a teenage girl's face. I also didn't know how to manage the plant, so having some hard time trying to manage the wild crop.



It has been more than 3 months since we saw the first batch of fruit, it turned red and we plucked it and eat it fresh. It tasted very good.

Now my hardwork over the past few months has started to pay off, I see some fruit turning red now.



It is very rewarding to grow your own plant and harvest from it.

I can't wait to see how the plant would turn out come December on my wedding day. I imagined all the round and green passion fruit would turn pinkish red, like some lantern hanging down from the rack. I think it would be delightful.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I was very interested to buy. I searched for this for Passion Fruit & Melon for long time in online. At last I found the best online shop for this rose’s fragrance purpose. This online shop provides champagne and roses fragrance at affordable prices….