Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Henna

I had my first henna when I was about to leave UK for good, nearly two years ago, and I thought it was very pretty:



There was an Indian cultural exhibition in town last weekend. I was curious, went in to check it out, and got myself this henna:
This one, I thought, is much prettier than the one I got in UK!

I was so happy to wear it and walk around, but when Monday comes, I started to understand why people stared at me when I was shopping over the weekend -- Everyone thought that it was a tattoo. :(

Most of my colleagues do not know what is henna, and was wondering if I have had a big shock on Friday (cause I walked out of the office). They thought that I went to do some tattoo.

After explaining it several times, it finally got through the colleagues, but my MD didn't seem very happy to see these decorations on my hand.

On the contrary, the henna has brought me some good experiences...

I went to meet up with a nasty customer (and his assistant), together with our regional sales manager, and our contractor. This customer has been an @$$, and has not been respecting our company (by scolding vulgar languages, finding faults, making things difficult etc.). He has been very proud of himself, by telling me
"When you see me, you may think that I look very young, but in fact, I have been working in tough environments for many years. I am very experienced!"

Upon meeting him, he looked like some late 30s, early 40s guys, who try to impress others by dressing up tight jeans, unbotton the first button on his shirt, wearing tinted glasses, despite being rather plum = bad taste (on the tinted glasses, so Austin-Power-without-the-Mojo).

He obviously has not get a good blend of the multi-cultures in this country, he thought that I have tattoo-ed my hand, cause he seemed rather warry of me, kept staring at my right hand.
Well, I couldn't be bothered to speak more than what I need to.

Again, this customer tried to sell his "Experienced, worked tough environment, worked in Multi-National Corporation in the past, don't mess with me, gimme what I demand." over and over during the meeting (As if we care!).

At the end of the meeting, his assistant questioned my background,
"You seem very young to handle our project, and you seem very familiar to me, I think I have met you before somewhere... what were you doing before this?"
"I was in oil and gas."
"Oh, you? Must be just doing M&E?"
"No, I was actually drilling for oil."
I guess they were gobsmacked, cause their reaction was funny, and it took them a while to reply
"Oh, interesting..."

Never did I know, that my miserable past could actually create such funny face out of the nasty customer... I guess it is about time for me to re-evaluate my history... Ah well...

I love this henna, and heck with those who think that I have got a complicated tattoo on hand.

No comments: