Sunday, March 7, 2010

Tour de Langkawi and My Car Windscreen

Short talk: I just came back from Singapore, trying to see some professional testing our designed products. It was a great fun, and I was told by the tester (working for 28 years!) that he would like to take me as his apprentice after I completed the training in USA. Ego point overload... ding ding ding.

Saturday morning, I woke up by hearing my car alarm. When I walked out, I was told that the rear windscreen on my car was broken by stones. The stones flew across when the civil worker was trimming the grass.

A picture of the grass cutting machine, and a typical attire of the grass trimming worker.

This is how my car looked like, when I walked out of the house:


We called the owner of the grass trimming company, but we weren't optimistic about them paying the compensation.

In any case, I followed the procedure to report the police and also went to the garage to ask for quotation. I also found out from the insurance company, that the windscreens for my car model are not insured, so I could just forget about getting a report from the police station next week.

Meanwhile, it also happened that the Tour de Langkawi was taken place outside the police station, causing horrible traffic jam, as the roads were closed. While I got stuck in the police station, I went to the fence to watch the cyclists. Many people got down from their vehicles to see the event, to curse the event, and to get some fresh air.

It took nearly 30 minutes before I saw the first cyclist passing in front of the police station.... then a whole crowd came...
then after 5 more minutes, the last two passed by, and the road was re-opened again.

I drove the car to the garage to replace the glass, as I was worried if the rain falls anytime of the day, my car would get all wet.

The owner of the grass trimming company came in the afternoon, we negotiated the price, and he paid 50% of my repair costs.

By the end of the day, I collected the car with new screen, and now I need to find a place to tint the glass.

My whole Saturday gone, money gone, but I am glad the problem was solved quick. Living in Malaysia, you just can't live a day without a car.

No comments: