Sunday, October 17, 2010

me is from Jamaica

The toast masters committee wanted me to be the grammarian on the coming meeting.They said I have a British accent, so, shoud be good at grammar.... I don't see the correlation between the two, and I certainly don't agree with the British accent.

Within the same week, someone called a wrong number to my house, the person asked if I am from Jamaica, I said no. He then said, nice accent, I thought you are from Jamaica.

The Jamaica reminded me of another wrong number call while I was in UK. An American lady called and she insisted she called the right number, and it turned out as an interogation... she asked if I were in UK, how come I have Jamaica accent.

There were several other incidents, where I was mistaken too... I was mistaken by Chinese as a Taiwanese; also by Taiwanese as a Chinese. I think I was also mistaken as Korean once.

Now I am curious how Jamaican speaks...

Come to think of it, Americans have relatively bad score in their world geography knowledge... I bet most of them think that if you were not American, you must be Mexican or Jamaican....

No comments: