Sunday, October 17, 2010

Mr. Forgetful

Went to the Alzheimer and Dimentia nursing home last week as usual.
This time, we brought some Chinese kids to perform Chinese drums. Some of them are good in musical instruments, so they also performed violin and piano.

One of the kids was playing Gavotte, I was so thrilled, because I knew the first part of it. I borrowed his musics score after that, to copy the remaining part of Gavotte.

Anyway, this time, there was this old man, he served the US Navy, and was stationed in South Korea for a long while. He spoke loud, and is rather arrogant. But I guess that's the typical American soldiers' way of communication.

He kept saying he saw our sisters in the club, doing Can-Can dance. He also talked about some of his experience while in South Korea. But I think he can't remember most of it, and he couldn't be sure what really happened. All I knew, he was in the US Navy, spent a long time in South Korea.

I can't see a single loneliness in his eyes, but I see emptiness in his eyes, there were no focus. As if someone were lost in the search of his memory, for very long.

There was also another guy I met. He is only in his mid 30s, tall, big and handsome guy. I saw him since the first time I joinned this voluntary work. His conditions has gone worse. He still carries his rubber bathtub duck, still have napkin hanging around his neck, but his eyes... they have become dull...

2 comments:

JW said...

Sometimes I wonder...losing a limb or losing your mind..which is the most painful?

Vinegar said...

Don't think too much, it would save your brain cells from over heating...