Friday, October 1, 2010

American pronunciation

I brought a bottle of home made peanut butter cookies to work the other day. The cookies are very small, like the size of the thumb nail, I filled them into the Nutella bottle.

When I put down the bottle on the common area, my colleague thought I brought some Nutella chocolate cookies.

"Oh, Nutella cookies!" I heard them saying 'Nu-tella', where 'Nu' as the Greek alphabet 'Nu'.
I was puzzled, because I have always been reading it as 'Nut-tella', because it is made of hazzle nuts. The way the American pronounce it, it is so nerd, kinda made me felt that I would be a nerdy nut, if I eat Nutella in America.

Anyway, it is just the American ways of reading stuffs, such as:
Route - US version "Raot"; rest of the world "Root"
Multi - US version "Mao-thai"; rest of the world "Mao-tee"
Anti - US version "An-tie"; rest of the world "An-tee"

I guess the list could grow longer...

By the way, I joinned the Toast Master's club, and made my Ice-breaker's speech today. Awarded with the best speaker, and got to keep the little 6 inches trophy for two weeks until our next meeting. Will upload the photos later.

1 comment:

kevin said...

Congratulations!!
Well Done!!!!