Sunday, January 25, 2009

Chinese Knots Lesson-- 2, 20 Aug. 2007

Here's what I learned from the second lesson. Nice? ^_^ This is called Pan Chang Jie (Long twisting knots, 盘长结). It has many variations, some have six loops like this, some have eight loops, some have loops within the loops etc. It is quite confusing when you're making it, the way the centre is made takes great patience. It takes me one and a half hour to make just one.




Here's the full view. I am hoping to improve my speed and skills on this, or perhaps try making other variations.



I have searched a lot of places for the beads and the strings, but I can't find porcelain beads or nice wooden beads that goes well with the Chinese knots. Plastics and metal beads don't match well with Chinese knots, it still look pretty, but the product will somehow seem lack of something. It is like matching an evening gown with a pair of Jimmy Choo or a pair of cocktail heels you get from high street sales has different effects. Both looks pretty, but one brings everything together, while the other is just a pair of shoe. Besides, after spending hours to tie the knots, you wouldn't want to just decorate it with any beads, right? (But I guess not many people can afford Jimmy Choo, so we have to settle for something else. And in this case... I am surviving with plastic beads for the moment as I am still practising. I guess porcelain beads aren't that expensive when put in comparison with Jimmy Choo's shoes... Angel)

I also bought a roll of moldy red strings and can't get a refund or exchange. TT_TT Lesson learned: Don't trust the shopkeeper, must double and triple check the product before making your payment. Must remember that you are not in UK anymore.

Here's another one I made, a smaller version, as a handphone accessory.

Another lesson I learned while making these knots, not patience, not skills, but the way of life. It may sound cliche, but these are what I learned:

When you tie the knots, you need to adjust it slowly, some aligning closer and some pulling further, keep repeating until a proper knot is formed. Most importantly, leave some gaps between the knots and yet close and strong enough to have a pretty formation. When you are knitting among those networks of strings, don't lose your way in the networks. One must also follow the flow direction of the rope (do not twist the rope unnecessarily, this will create unwanted bumps in the knots) to tie a proper knot.

I think this is very similar to our relationship with others. When you get to know a person, you have to do it slowly, adjusting your distance with others, some people is worth keeping a distance, some bringing closer. And always leaving some space for others (and ourselves). Do not lose focus on the global view and yet focus on what you need to do. Following the trend, but don't lose your own personalities. This is what I think a healthy networking supposed to be.

No comments: