Sunday, January 25, 2009

Chinese Knots Lesson 3, 27 Aug. 2007

UPDATE (28/08/07): I have searched again regarding the name of Pan Chang Jie, this time using English. I found out that Pan Chang is actually one of the eight auspicious symbols for Buddhism. It represents endless and eternity...

"The endless knot overlaps without a beginning or an end, symbolising the Buddha's endless wisdom and compassion. It indicates continuity as the underlying reality of existence." (quoted from here)


I have made some modification on the homework for lesson 2, and the Long Twisted knot is now looking better compared to the previous ones. I have also checked the name for this knots, some calling it eternal knot. So I guess I will call it Eternal knot now, cause it sounded better. Tongue out

So here it is. I have yet to cut the extra strings hanging at the end of the piece, cause I haven't submited my homework yet.


For lesson three, there are 3 types of knots, button knots and Peru knots. The latter consist of two variations. There are two very talented classmates in the workshop, they learned really quick, I have some hard time struggling to keep up with their pace.

The one you seen in the picture above, hanging just below the green beads are one of the examples of Peru knots. Here's another view.


According to some legend, the Peru knots were originated from Peru, where people use knots to represent numbers. So the one shown above represents for 10, as there are 10 bits in the knot. For 1 to 5, they use the following method. The one shown here is supposed to be 3, pardon my lousy knotting.




Here's the button knot:

The button knot is actually quite difficult to learn at the beginning. But after some practice, we managed to find the clues. It is much tighter than the Double Union knots, and much nicer when used for making necklace or bracelet.

As a revision for myself, I've made a variation of the Eternal knots (more loops).


I have searched the internet for some Chinese knots basics and theories, but ended up mostly in some forum battling for the originality of Chinese knots. I think arts are beyond any physical boundaries, when it is tainted with other issues, such as politics and economics, it became very stressful. I guess I am starting to learn the dark side of the Chinese knots now...

No comments: