Thursday, January 15, 2009

HK Christmas 2008 part 2/2

This post should have been written long time ago. Anyway, I am feeling less tired tonight, compare to the usual days... so here it is the remaining days of my trip to Hong Kong.

So, I went to NgongPeng to see the gigantic Buddha statue. It was really worth the trip, and the queue to get into the cable car. The view outside the cable car was absolutely stunning!!

This picture was taken at the first part of the cable car journey.

There were 3 parts of the cable car journey, the second part allows you to see the HK new international airport from the Lantau Mountain. And to be able to see the Buddha statue "hanging" far away, while still in the cable car, I certainly felt like I am one step closer to the heaven.

See the Buddha statue on the top left corner? Well, apparently this is the best one I can savage out of my lousy camera.... -____-

By the time we arrived to NgongPeng, it was already close to noon. We saw the staircase to go up to the Buddha, and decided that perhaps we should feed ourselves first, before taking the challenge.

There weren't many steps, just that we have not much of stamina.

So we went straight to the temple's canteen, and bought the meal tickets. HKD 60 per head, and the portion was huge! Considering there were only two of us, and we are not those ladies who eat less that my cat.


This picture was taken after we drank up the whole bowl of soup. There was a big pot of rice behind the soup, three dishes, and unlimited tea. In fact, my friend F took the recommendation from Kennysia.com to try out the food there. It was great!

We were told by the lady who sold the meal ticket to keep the ticket after the meal... she spoke so fast that I didn't really catch the remaining of the sentence. So anyway, we kept that ticket for later use, and went walking around the temple.


We then decided to climb up the stairs to see the Buddha statue. Here's a picture taken when I was up there. We found out that the meal ticket was also the ticket to enter the Buddha. I can't take any pictures beyond this point. Inside the Buddha was a exhibition hall, with lots of ancient scrolls, the sarira, and many drawings to tell the story of the Buddha.


When we left the temple, we thought of trying one of the Chinese delicacy there, which is often called the "flower of bean curd". It was the best one I ever had! Too bad, no pictures, we swallow everything before thinking of snapping a picture of it.

The day before I left, I meet up with my friend R and his gf. He used to be my housemate during undergraduates, and he hasn't changed a bit. They brought me to The Peak to have a view of the HK landscape. I particularly like this little rock lion roaring on top of the mountain, with the Central as the background. It somehow gave me a cynical feeling.

We later took the tram to go down from the Peak, and went to Stanley.

Stanley gives a totally different feeling, it has a European touch, and it is more laid back. But it was strange for me to see those big bungalows building around the Stanley prison.

There were still some old houses left in Stanley for its historical value.

My friend told me, that the wood building beyond the water was in fact "moved" piece by piece from another place in the Hong Kong island to Stanley. I was really impressed by their effort to keep the cultural herritage despite having so limited landspace!



While in Stanley, I happened to see a wedding couple taking their wedding pictures. It strikes me that those photographer must have done a good job to magically delete those tourists behind the background, and produced those romantic wedding photo...

Apart from that. I have also taken a very relaxing (?) walk with F's doggies, I was in fact walked by the dog.... -______-" in Sai Gong.

These are the two lovely ones >_<


Sai Gong is a pretty quiet area, and it seems to be a pretty famous place for outdoor activities. We even saw two cars fighting to get a small little car park space, where neither of their cars can squeeze into that area...

And on top of all, I saw one of the most bizzare things in life -- to push a pair of doggies (not small ones, ok) in the pram! I thought dogs are meant to run around, sniffing stuffs.

That's basically all the places I visited while in Hong Kong. Of all the places, there were 3 locations I really liked: The NgongPeng Buddha and Temple, Stanley and The place that offer this....
THE MANGO PUDDING!!

It is a dessert outlet called Hui Lao Shan, it is available everywhere in HK. The mango pudding was so soft and tender, it even shakes a little when you lay your spoon on it!

One more closer shot? ^_^


No comments: