Monday, January 19, 2009

Prologue -- cat fight

Well, arsehole gave his shyte today... let's just give him a name -- Ir. Decamouth.
My boss assigned me to be the acting head for this project in the Engineering department. My role will be to collaborate with the Project, Sales and Procurement/Logistics, while the Engineering department will be taking care of the engineering design.

Ir. Decamouth will be handing over the job from Sales department to everyone tomorrow, and he has already shown me some of his claws today.

Here is a pretty nonsensical conversation today:

Decamouth, "Vinegar, the customer wants to get the flow rate and the pressure of this thing."
Vinegar, "Hm... This seems quite complicated, would you mind giving me more details so that I can have a look?"
Decamouth, "Yeah sure, after lunch ok?"
Vinegar, "OK."

After lunch, I saw two pieces of photocopied papers left on my table. My colleague told me Mr. Decamouth left it there. I was rather insulted, but since I am interested in this new system, I took the drawings and went to find my boss, to see if he has any idea how to do the design.

Unfortunately, my boss can't help either. So I went to tell Decamouth that no one in the company could do this. If he needs it quick, he has to help finding details, and allocate some time for me to ask for support from the USA headquarter.

Decamouth, "You know, what your boss taught you to do the calculations are too slow, there are other methods of estimating the flow rate and pressure."
"Ok..."

Decamouth went on to explain his so-called-faster way, but it seems very much like a blind number guessing game, without much theoretical support behind. Besides, he has got the units all wrong.

"...So, that's it, you can use this method to estimate the flow rate and pressure for this system too." Followed by a lengthy bull-shooting about how he has spent his years working in the relevant industries.

Vinegar, "Well, I don't quite understand your method, but I think you could have give an estimation to the customer based on your theory right?"

Decamouth, "Well, to be frank, I am very busy. I still have a lot of proposal to do. The company needs me. Without getting more jobs, we will all be suffering. I don't have time to spend on these minute things."

Vinegar, "I am sure you are busy, I am currently working on some other issues on this project too, and I too am busy to split myself for other things. There is no one in this company that could solve this problem now. I am thinking of contacting the US HQ. There is no guarantee for their reply..."

Decamouth, "But I can't let my customer down."

Vinegar remain silent, cause don't know what to say. Eventually Decamouth said he will talk to the MD to sort out this issue. Vinegar walks back to her seat.

Minutes later, my phone rang, it was from Decamouth!
"Vinegar, I have some crucial information for you, would you like to come over to have a look?"
I doubt it was something useful, cause I can't find anything from the technical system at all. Anyway, I answered, "Alright, I'll go over."

"Vinegar, here are the important things!"
I took a look, it was the margin of the product and the labour costs. I wonder Ir. Decamouth being an Industrial Engineer, working in engineering application for so many years, would think that the labour costs and the product margin, can help one computing for the system pressure and flow rate. At that moment, I seriously wonder how did he obtain his Professional Engineer title (Ir.).

Vinegar, "These are product margins and labour costs, it can't be used for the technical calculations."
"Oh, I am glad you knew that, so then I have nothing to give you now." replied Decamouth.

Sigh, I felt like an idiot!

One thing I learned, if someone just drop a piece of paper on your desk, without any instructions or notes, ignore that piece of paper. I felt like a puppet played by this stupid Ir. Decamouth.

The story will continue, let's see how the handover meeting will go tomorrow. The whole handover process would take quite some time, knowing the fact that Ir. Decamouth is very good in manipulating infomation, I am sure the days will be tough, until we completed the whole job. Even so, from the previous project history that was handled by Ir. Decamouth, none of his job could be completed without major complications, one which have caused several people losing their jobs. (While he gets a promotion!)

No matter what happened, I will never give in for his crooked personality.

No comments: