Monday, July 19, 2010

Aircraft and Baseball

Received a flyer about a month ago, in the apartment mail room, regarding an aircraft expo and open house organised by the Commemorative Air Force - Heart of America Wing, at Olathe Century Air Center. The flyer was buried by piles of paperwork on my dining table, I totally forgotten about it. It mysteriously came out yesterday -- the day of the expo, when I was having my breakfast.

So I drove to the venue, and had some fun looking at those military vehicles and aircraft display. Managed to climb into one of the small little one (yes, the one in the picture). It is a really small two person aircraft. It is made of wood and canvas, very light weight.


Saw the Spooky (gunship) and Sea Horse (chopper) that served the Vietnam war (still have bullet holes), I am too lazy to upload the photos. There were many other aircrafts on display, one guy even flew one of the plane, which was amateur made. On the open ground, there were also some antique cars which we saw on those old English show. There was a band performance in the warehouse, some indoor activities for families and kids, and some indoor display of other stuffs. I typically fond of these:

There are a few other, larger guns on display, again, I am too lazy to upload them here. My affection towards guns started when I had my first shooting with my colleagues, I was thoroughly thrilled by the smell of gun powder, and the power that comes out from such small little thing. It is an engineering piece, that turns into art and requires a huge amount of respect.

That was my Saturday activity highlight. On Sunday, I went to a baseball game.

I got the tickets on Thursday evening from my colleague -- two seasonal tickets, with free car park. She and her husband couldn't go, because her brother in law is visiting on Sunday. I could turn it down, because I know if I did, I would regret it. The next problem then becomes how to find someone to go with me. I knew Mr. Techno would love the game, but I didn't want to create any misunderstanding; I tried asking a Malaysian colleague, who is 10 years younger than me, guess what? The misunderstanding I tried to avoid with Mr. Techno, now appears between me and this Malaysian colleague. What could I say? I guess the social etiquette just sucks.

So eventually, I asked this intern girl, who stays in the same apartment community as me. She was feeling extremely bored the moment the game started, while I was shouting and cheering.

The Royals' performance was not as good as I thought, may be their opponent, the Oakland Athletics, were too strong?

Some of the mini games that interacts with the audience and kids are pretty funny, I typically love the running competitions organised by Heinz. They had three kids from the audience dressed up like sausages, one tomato sausage (red), one mustard (yellow) and one relish (green). Had them run for about 1 mile. When the kids were running, they sausage costume looks funny, as it would "nod" along the way. Mustard took the lead, followed by ketchup and relish.

I generally love the baseball game, it is a relaxing outing with family and friends. Though the weather was extremely hot, the crowd didn't mind at all. I hope I get to go to another baseball game again, and this time, with someone who knows baseball and enjoys it.

Those who has my facebook, I have uploaded the pictures there. The blogspot uploading simply takes too long, and I keep having to get into html mode to move the pictures to the right place, that's why I get lazy uploading pictures here.

1 comment:

JW said...

Sausage, mustard and relish running around...must be quite a scene! :P