Thursday, July 22, 2010

New Laptop with Window 7

Bought a new laptop recently, out of necessity.

I think the last time I owned a laptop, I was running some simulation, and burnt the hard disk while the computer were working overnight.

Since then I switched to desktop, and carried that desktop all the way from UK back to Malaysia. It has served me well for more than 5 years, and still running. I didn't bring it with me when coming to USA.

I came here with the company laptop, and have been surviving with it until I have this new laptop. This Dell Inspiron is the basic model, I was struggling between a netbook and a proper laptop. Since I brought along the drawing tablet, I feared that the netbook would not be able to cope with the drawing.

Anyway, the Inspiron arrived my house shortly after lunch today. It is pretty sleek, and it is larger than I expected. The only thing I dislike, is the glossy finish body -- It is covered with my finger prints now.

Window 7 is a brand new experience. I dislike the fact that they are mimicking Apple OS, and I couldn't access the C:\ drive. Will try to find my way round it.
Though my old Corel Painter Essential is no longer supported by Window 7, it is compensated with a better Paint -- with some basic brushes to choose from. I like the fact that the interface between the drawing tablet and the Window7 has improved, writing is feeling much more natural now.
Haven't fully explored the laptop and the softwares yet. My guess is, it shouldn't be too different from the Window principles we have gathered over the decades. Let's see...

No comments: