Thursday, July 1, 2010

Stalker at Nelson-Atkins

Went back to the Nelson-Atkins Museum over the weekend, because the Egypt exhibition will end this month, so that was the last chance for me to take a peek, before they pack everything away.

It was really pack, and I couldn't really enjoy the whole exhibition much, because of the crowd, and because of a stalker.

Anyway, managed to see a male mummy, wrapped. I am curious to open up the bandage, but of course, that's not what every museum would like to display.

So, my visit started in the Egypt chamber, which is where I started notice this man with olive green singlet, and washed-out navy green three quarter pants, and a cap with dirty blood red colour. He is pretty short, about my height, with a beer belly.

I then moved onto the Greek and Roman Catholic chamber, which displayed a lot of naked men sculptures, with their shafts mysteriously broken away. I always admire these three-dimensional arts, because it is so real, that you wonder how much effort was put into the sculpture, and how much more failures had the artist made before making such breathtaking sculptures...

Anyway, I guess it was a wrong image, to have a single lady staring at naked men sculptures for longer than certain time. Aparently, not long after I leave the Roman chamber and entered the Gothic chamber, this guy came to me, "How are you today?" I replied with a nod and smile and walked away.

As I was enjoying myself looking at the largest wood painting in that chamber, this man came to me and asked abruptly, "Do you think I could call you some time? Can I have your phone number?" I gazed at him, and said, "No, sorry." and continue looking at the painting. He walked away.

I didn't know how I did it, but I wasn't as surprised as last time. Anyway, as I strolled across chamber to chamber, this man was aways within my vicinity. So I decided to leave when I finished the English pottery chamber, and it was before the closing time.

As I walked across the sculpture garden, the man was behind me too. I tried to walk on my pace, without feeling worried. And waited at the traffic junction for the pedestrian crossing light to turn green. I was pretty scared, and I don't want this man to realise that, so I called my friend, asking if he has arrived in Kansas.* This man was at the edge of the garden while I was at the junction, we both stopped. Knowing that he won't follow too close, I crossed the street slowly, so that by the time I was at the other end, the pedestrian light is no longer green.

I dashed to my car, and started the engine, without my GPS. As I pulled to the exit junction, I saw him rushing towards my car. I quickly entered the main road, and drive away. I didn't know how to go home from there, but decided to drive far enough then only switch on the GPS, and let it picks up the satelite signal as I continued driving along.

That was quite an experience.

*My friend paid me a surprise visit on Saturday night, he called me in the morning telling me he will be arriving around dinner time. But as I talked to him over the phone, he said he would be late.

Anyway, it was a very relaxing weekend, to have a friend to chit chat all day long. I felt that my silent moments in Kansas has all been equalised by chatting so much over his one day stay.

1 comment:

JW said...

Wow...that was a close call for you.

There will always be a guardian angel with you wherever you are!

This is because "hou sam yau hou pou". Mechanical Melon, "tin yau ngan"!