Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Problem solving

There was three vibration problems reported yesterday alone.
One was solved, the reaming two we requested for more information.

I was very excited when vibration issues are reported. Of course I can't show my smiley face in front of everyone, but I can't stop smiling. So I went to toilet, locked myself in the cubical, smile and laugh (mute laugh) all I might, and come out with the cool Vinegar, ready for the discusssions.

I guess everyone in the team are genuinely interested to solve any engineering issues, and are, to certain extend have some sense of success when the problem is solved. But guys are generally cool and don't show much of expression, if not frowning when focused. So it would be strange for me to appear so joyous.

It is no good to show a smiley face when the problem rises, because whenever there are any engineering problems, someone out there is splitting their hairs, getting scolded, and having headache to pull together the evidence, not only to find out the causes but also to find out whose fault, in order to lay the bill to that party. The project/sales/warranty departments would be all stressed up. So it is very inconsiderate for me to be happy over someone's, or many others' misery.

But one thing I learned, is to face the problem head on, take responsibilities and be prepared for unforeseen mistakes, due to one's lack of experiences. I learned the lesson the hard way, when everyone was pushing the responsibilities away, I find it hard to overcome my thoughts -- why do I have to take responsibilities of something that has nothing to do with me? The fact is, as long as you are involved in the project, everything in the project has something to do with you. As long as you start facing your responsibilities head on, you would be the one that is giving commands and determine the sail direction. Then suddenly, everything just falls into the places.

This is one thing I really appreciate for the colleagues in the headquarter, because all of them take responsibilities of their work. Not only that, they even extend their responsibilities to checking each other's work, without being asked. And pointed out their comments when they found mistakes, and people seem to be able to swallow the comments well.

I wonder if I could bring this culture back home?

No comments: