Saturday, February 7, 2009

From Shanghai with love

I went out on Thursday with my brother to meet up our virtual friends, a newly-wed couple from Shanghai. This is the first time we met.

I knew them since about 6 years ago, along with a whole bunch of others in the Shanghai forum, while studying in the UK. I eventually stopped visiting the forum after coming back here, thanks to the bandwidth. The forum too have eventually closed down.

But the friendships have grown onto the next level, and the communications continued on the MSN and various other chatting machine. (Too bad my company banded all sorts of forum and chatting software) Their friendship has accompanied me through the toughest days in my life so far. It is strange sometimes to feel closer to a virtual person, whom you have never met before; while feeling distant with the person who you see each other everyday.

Anyway, it was a very pleasant meeting, it brought back a lot of memories when I was typing with them over in the UK, sitting alone in the workroom over the cold winter. We chatted non-stop for 4-5 hours. I wanted to give her a hug when we said good-bye, but thought it is not an eastern culture, so I refrained myself. We all know that it will be a long while before we could meet each other again.

I feel bad for not being able to take more time out to bring them around the city, I sincerely hope they had a good trip... though I doubted it. Cause her husband fell sick a day before we met.

No comments: