Sunday, February 1, 2009

Seventh day of CNY

Today is the 7th day of the Chinese New Year (CNY), it is supposed to be the day when human were created.

There are various tradition for celebrating this day, depending on the origin of various clans. My family have Lui Cha for today. It is supposed to be a mixture of vegetable dishes, eat with rice and herbal soup.


There are supposed to have at least 7 dishes, each carrying auspicious meaning. My mum didn't really care, she only has the garlic plant (for good in calculations), the bean curd (for having assistance when you are in trouble), peanuts (for growing wealth), long beans (for long life). The remaining veges were mainly to make up the quantity.

The key ingredients for the soup are parsley (for steping up to the next level. We couldn't buy it this year, it was substituted with mint), tea leaves (we substitute it with another herb also, unfortunately I don't know the English name of it), peanut paste, dried anchovies paste, sesame paste (this is an extra ingredient, it is for not being bothered by small things) etc.

It is a meal that takes a lot of effort to prepare. We don't usually get to eat it unless there is a big event... such as CNY, or someone is coming home from overseas.

Anyway, I love Lui Cha, it tastes very refreshing after having rather meaty dishes over the past few days of CNY. I think I have already consumed more than my one year share of meat and junk food over the first 6 days of CNY. >_<"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Melon, I didn't know the significant of the 7th day of CNY for Hakka. The Lui Cha dish looks yummy! :D

Never tried Lui Chai before though...will put in more effort to try one soon! :D

:$ shameless Hakka.

kevin said...

Wah... mouth watering post. Regret to miss it yesterday... ;(( lousy flu bugs.. spoilt my chance to eat a home made "lui cha"... but, nevermind, next time my gf will make for me right?? heheh... :))

Vinegar said...

Jaime, well, lui cha has a rather acquired taste, I guess it is because of the herbs used for the soup. But it is worth trying.

Kevin, I am not so good in making the lui cha, but you could probably try my washed down version of it. :p